Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Clarification/retraction

When I was doing my blogs for China, I really tried to only put positive experiences in the individual city portions.  I did try to put all my negative points in the Confessions and Tip section.  I do want everyone to know that I do not regret going to China.  If I had the choice to do it again, I would.  Everyday I was there I found the words, "wow" tumbling out of my mouth.  Twenty percent of my experience was not positive.  Most of my negative experiences were individuals who made a wonderful experience tainted by how they treated me.  I found most people were wonderful, so kind and helpful, and when I had a bad experience it shocked me every time.  I was treated differently when I was by myself as opposed to being with my husband.  I found that people approached me more when I was by myself.  Most of the time these people were very friendly, and often if someone was mistreating me another person would come up and defend me.

I found myself wanting to go back to Beijing when I was blogging about it.  One of my regrets is not taking all of my children with me.  I now am of the opinion that my children can go to China as adults, but part of me wishes they were there with me, experiencing all that I was able to.  I think it is unfortunate the 20% negative experiences affected me so greatly, and yet it did.  I am so grateful for being able to go to China but at the same time I do not apologize for my opinion.  I learned so much about China and America.  I found my appreciation for my freedom increase and so many things our political parties fight about now seem trivial.  It was a nice place to visit, but I don't think I would want to live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment