We bring an electric skillet and food you can cook in the skillet such as frozen skillet meals, pancakes, sausages, burgers, really it can be anything that can be cooked on a flat surface. Easy, convenient, and you don't have to worry about making a fire to cook your food, or packing a heavy grill or camping stove. We have also brought a crockpot and put food in it while we were out seeing the sites.
Everywhere we have stayed that has had cabins or yurts has also had bathrooms with showers somewhere near by, so you can feel clean some of the time. I never really feel clean while I am camping, and I tend to bring white shirts with me, which always end up so dirty! Camping in a cabin gives you a slightly more clean environment. Sometimes the campgrounds that have cabins or yurts also have swimming pools, and my kids think they are in heaven if they get to go swimming!
When we went to the Grand Canyon and to Bryce Canyon we reserved these cabins. The best part was getting to the campground and being able to put the kids to bed within a 1/2 an hour after getting there. We had them put on their jammies, brush their teeth, bedtime story, and then hop into bed. My husband and I went outside to the porch, sat on the porch swing, we stargazed, held hands, read our books that we brought until it was time we wanted to go to sleep. In the morning I got out our electric skillet, made pancakes and sausages, and we had breakfast. After getting dressed we rolled up our sleeping bags and we were off for the day. It was so easy, I loved it! It felt like we were camping, but cheating. Can't say I minded.
- Don't forget your sleeping bags or some type of bedding!
- Before bringing an electric skillet make sure your cabin has electricity
- Check to see if they have lights or if you need to bring your own
- Bring a swim suit if they indeed do have a pool
- If there is no form of AC or heating, bring a fan or a space heater depending on the environment.
- You can find these even in major cities, like LA, if you want to go to places like Disneyland really economically, check this as a resource.